Tuesday 13 March 2012

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?



In order to make our film a success I think that it would need to be distributed by one of the more successful and already established media institutions. To see what kind of media institution would be best suited to distribute our film I have looked into other British films in the gangster genre. I have looked at British film production companies because I think that this is most appropriate for our film seeing as we are taking a very British twist to the typical Al Capone/The godfather type film. From my research into other films I found a film called 1 day; it is also a British twist to a gangster film. Like ours, it is a gang warfare movie set in an urban area. It depicts Birmingham's black gang community, with aggressive hip-hop figuring as a kind of chorus commenting on the action and raising the emotional ante. It tells the familiar story of a drug dealer threatened with death if he doesn't repay within three hours the £500,000 he's been holding for a fellow criminal just released from jail. From reading what the film was about and having looked at the trailer for it I thought that it looked like the kind of we would hope to create and I also think that it is aimed at the same target audience as Blud Trigger. Therefore I looked into which media institution was behind the film and found it was a British production company called vertigo films.

Vertigo films are a UK media company founded in 2002 to create and distribute commercially driven independent cinema. They have created many films within the past 10 years, many of which have been major successes including; street dance 3D and monsters which  have both won baftas & street dance 2, The business, the football factory,  shrooms and point blank. I feel that Vertigo productions would be best suited to produce our film because from looking at 1 day I can see that they are able to effectively capture gang culture also from their extensive portfolio of previous successes I think they are in a strong position to market our film well and make it a success.

                                                              1 day film trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment